- An internationally respected executive with proven performance in business, industry, electric power utility, finance, economic development, and governmental responsibilities
- Proven leadership abilities; solid track record of goal-setting and results
- Skilled in achieving consensus — optimizing teamwork to accomplish goals
- Valuable working knowledge of corporate business, industry, finance and governmental operations, processes, and protocol
Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) · Knoxville, TN
TVA Board of Directors
Chairman of the Board
Began serving on the TVA Board on November 19, 1999, following nomination by President Bill Clinton and confirmation by the U.S. Senate to a term ending on May 18, 2005. After serving two years on the Board, President George W. Bush named him Chairman of the TVA Board on July 19, 2001.
TVA, a federal corporation, is America's largest public power company.
- 12,754 employees
- 11 fossil plants, 3 nuclear plants, 29 hydro electric dams, 5 combustion turbine installations, a pumped storage hydro plant, wind, solar sites for 31,658 megawatts generation capacity
- 17,000-mile transmission system
- 62 large industries directly served, 158 municipal and cooperative customers serving 8.5 million people
- Tennessee Valley, 80,000 square miles — TN, AL, MS, KY, GA, NC, VA
During 1999-2005, TVA achieved:
Record power generation
- Met record electric power demand of 29,878 megawatts on July 13, 2004.
- Approved restart of Browns Ferry Nuclear Unit 1, currently on-budget and on-schedule
for restart in May 2007. BFN1 successfully restarted on schedule.
Record power sales
- Created $7.5 billion in power sales revenue for 2005.
- Achieved a $950 million increase in power sales from 1999 to 2005.
Record system reliability
- Achieved 99.999%
system reliability over the past five years.
- Reduced the number of customer interruptions by 53%
Record clean air improvements
- Implemented aggressive clean air plan, spending $1.7 billion from 1999-2005 on controls to reduce sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter.
Record economic and community development
- Transformed TVA's economic development department into a focused regional development organization, achieving record goals for capital investment, job and income growth.
- Made record annual in-lieu of tax payments to Valley communities totaling $1.6 billion since 2000.
Record debt reduction
- Achieved $2 billion in long-term debt reduction from 1999-2005.
- Reduced interest cost as a percent of revenue by 32%.
- Administered comprehensive performance reviews as part of TVA's Strategic Plan to reduce costs and improve financial flexibility; restructured Management and Executive Committees.
City of Tupelo · Tupelo, Mississippi
- Elected June 1997 as Tupelo's 23rd mayor with 61% of the vote.
- Led successful historic downtown revitalization effort, including leadership of the Fairpark
District project, a 50-acre downtown development.
- Formed citizen task forces and community-oriented policing effort which led to the John
C. Stennis Institute of Government's "Innovations in Municipal Government" award.
- Led City of Tupelo's successful effort to earn "All-America City" designation from the National Civic League in 1999.
Office of the Governor· State of Mississippi· Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)
- Enhanced the state's commitment to economic development and to technical skills training, physical infrastructure improvements and industrial-park development.
- Strengthened understanding and trust between Congressional leaders and ARC.
- Leadership role resulting in a $600 million Red Hills mine-and-power plant near Ackerman, Mississippi.
McCullough Steel Products, Inc · Tupelo, MS
President, Vice-President, Sales Manager
Master distributor of industrial pipe, valves, fittings, and related piping materials.
- Added more than 500 active customer accounts in 26 states.
- Developed sales incentive program for employees.
- Increased sales more than 300%, reduced expenses, added profit.
- NuVision Engineering, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA, Chairman of the Board
- Mid-Columbia Engineering, Richland, WA, Chairman of the Board
- Community Development Foundation, Tupelo, MS, Board of Directors
- Community Bank, Board of Directors
- SmartSynch, Inc., Board of Directors
- Advance Mississippi, Chairman of the Board
- Mississippi Technology Alliance, Board of Directors
- Fox Business News Contributor
- Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (INPO), Board of Directors and Executive Committee 2001-2005
- Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI), Board of Directors and Executive Committee 2001-2005
- Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Board of Directors 2001-2005
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Advisory Council 2001-2005
- Alabama Partnership for Economic Development, Board of Directors 2001-2005
- Coal Utilization Research Council (CURC), Past Co-Chairman 2001-2004
- Mississippi State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Alumnus of the Year 2002
- Leadership Memphis Graduate 2001
- Bellsouth Leaders of the 21st Century Conference 1997
SPEECHES & PRESENTATIONS
- Fox Business News Contributor, 2010
- Tennessee Tombigbee-Waterway Development Authority Annual Meeting, 2009
- Appalachian Leadership Program, Mississippi State University 2007
- Institute of Clean Air Companies Annual Meeting, Austin, TX 2006
- Rotary International Conference, Starkville, MS 2006
- Mississippi State University Commencement 2006
- Pacific Basin Nuclear Conference, Honolulu, HI 2004
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Institute, University of Georgia 2004
- Emerging Leaders – Owen School of Business Management, Vanderbilt University 2003
- North Alabama Public Power Association, Florence, AL 2003
- Mississippi State University Commencement 2002
- Southeast U.S. – Japan Trade Conference, Charleston, SC 2002
- Edison Electric Institute (EEI) Annual Meeting, Boston, MA 2001
- State of Tennessee-Japan Trade Mission, Tokyo, Japan 2001
- Tennessee Valley Association of Valley Governments, Nashville, TN 2001
- Community Development Institute, Nichols State University 1995
- Mississippi-Alabama Sociological Society, University of Alabama 1994
- U.S. Senate Subcommittee on Energy and Natural Resources, Subcommittee on Energy, Topic: "TVA's Nuclear Program and the Restart of Browns Ferry Unit 1" 3/4/04
- U.S. House Subcommittee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Subcommittee on Water Resources
and Environment, Topic: "TVA Update" 2/26/04
- U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, Subcommittee on Clean Air, Climate
Change, and Nuclear Safety, Topic: "Clear Skies Act" 4/8/03
- U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality, Topic: "The Electric Supply and Transmission Act of 2001" 12/12/01
Bachelor of Science · Agricultural Economics · 1977
Mississippi State University · Starkville, Mississippi
New South Economic Development Course · 1993
University of Southern MS · Hattiesburg, Mississippi